Sunday, March 24, 2013

The Sand, the Seashore, and my Earring!

I had the pleasure of spending the last week on the beach in Southern California with my family and my sister's family! I love the ocean! Its power, vastness, beauty, and exhilaration remind me constantly of God! As I took walk after walk on the beach, I asked God to bless me with special things reminding me of His presence. In the days I was there, I saw surfers trying to "walk on water," pelicans scooping fish from the sea, dolphins playing in the waves, seals looking curiously at me, lots of seaweed, and beautiful sunsets painted on the horizon! In all of these views and more, I talked to the Lord about feeling His presence and His love for me!

Something about His greatness and His constant presence with me melts my heart and makes me feel warm and protected! Psalm 139:17-18 says; "How precious are your thoughts about me, O God. They cannot be numbered! Were I to count them, they would out number the grains of sand--when I awake, I am still with You." God is thinking about me more than the grains of sand. As I sat on the sand, I thought about this and felt it in my soul! WOW! I can't even count the grains in my hand! But, God can think of me more than all the sand! This thought comforted me as I realized the broken nature of this earth and the struggles going on in and around my life. In these moments, my soul was at peace! My soul was safely surrounded by the love of Jesus! And in only a few days, the Lord had answered my request! I had seen many special things and was feeling His presence, but with Him there is always more!

One afternoon on the beach, my family was participating in a game of Frisbee. One person threw the Frisbee into the group of the rest of us. Whoever caught the Frisbee three times took the place of the thrower and we started again. Well, due to my competitive nature, the game got a bit rough. Fun, but rough! I found myself on the sand on a few occasions. Usually with the Frisbee in my hands:) Anyway, we had a great time!

After our game we walked a long distance down the beach and up a long staircase to "The Shake Shack" for dinner. As I was in the bathroom washing my hands, I noticed my earring was missing! My diamond earring that my husband got me for Christmas a few years ago. (I am sure he did not envision the beach when he bought these!) These were my favorite earrings! They have a safety clip and are very secure! These were my everyday, running, jumping earrings! I could not believe one was gone! I was bummed!

I went out to our table to sit with my family as we waited for our burgers, fries, and shakes. I told them what happened. They asked, "Why were you wearing your diamond earrings on the beach?" I explained how secure these earrings are. They are my "most likely to not get lost earrings!" They know me and understand me, so they accepted this answer. Anyway, we prayed for God to help us find the earring. He was our only hope! And we proceeded to enjoy our dinner planning to search for the earring afterward.

As I ate my dinner, I reminded God that He made me this way! I told Him I needed Him to help us find my earring. I knew He could see it on the beach, so I trusted He was going to show me where it was! Without God, it would have been hopeless! But I know and believe nothing is impossible with God! And then I relaxed and enjoyed the best chocolate shake I had ever tasted!

As we left the restaurant, we noticed the sun was setting. So we quickly went down the steps. Then we jogged along the beach as we realized the tide had come in! We were having fun as we made our way back to the spot where my earring was waiting to be found. I had told the group where I thought it was! I was sure it would be found! The Lord was with us. As my nephew approached the area of my earring, he saw something that looked like a rock washing back and forth in the surf. He went over to investigate and he picked up my earring. It took him about 30 seconds to find it. He arrived first and by the time the rest of us where there, he walked over and handed it to me! I washed off the sand and put it on! Then we all rejoiced and praised the Lord together!

And Jesus added another special thing to the long list of ways He made His presence known to me during this week at the beach! He is so big and powerful like the ocean! He is incomprehensible! He is Almighty! But He is always SO CLOSE! Right next to me! Waiting for opportunities to bless me and be gracious to me! Opportunities to remind me of His presence! And show me His everlasting love!

Isaiah 30:18. Therefore the LORD longs to be gracious to you, And therefore He waits on high to have compassion on you. For the LORD is a God of justice; How blessed are all those who long for Him.





4 comments:

  1. We have an awesome God who loves us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanking you for your constant prayers for Judith and I. We love you and are blessed to call you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying with faith to our God who is able! Love and Blessings to my friends in Texas!

    ReplyDelete