Saturday, February 23, 2013

Convinced!

Last week, I was a greeter at church. I was standing at the door, greeting when a man came in. Immediately, I could smell alcohol and realized he was intoxicated. This blessed my heart to know he had come to the right place.

Church is not a country club for people who all look the same and act in similar ways. Church is not a place to hide our deepest struggles! Church is a place to come for healing! It is a hospital where we should run to find help from Jesus! It is a place of healing and restoration! It was refreshing to me that this man had the courage to openly display his weakness and his need!

As I greeted this man, I felt the love of God flowing from me to him. I was so clear to me how much God loved him. He was so happy to tell me his name, Lester, where he was from and the struggles he was going through! He asked me for some bus money to get across town for lunch. I agreed to give him the money after the service. He seemed surprised that I was spending so much time with him. I introduced him to a friend of mine and they talked for awhile.

I went in and sat down as service started and Lester came in and sat in my row. As I worshiped, I was feeling the Lord's love for Lester. It was overwhelming! The love was so rich and deep, I could feel it all around me! So I prayed Lester would feel it too! At one point, I noticed Lester was crying so I went to the back of the church and got him a box of Kleenex. He looked at me with wide eyes and said, "Thank you!," as he continued to weep.

After worship at our Sunday Service we take a break to talk and greet one another. Our pastor calls it "Halftime!" This gives us a chance to get to know one another and the visitors at church. Then we come back in for the sermon. I love this tradition!

As we broke for halftime, I saw a hard look on Lester's face. He said he would like his bus money and wanted to go now. I have been studying the Gospel of Mark this year with my College Study. As I looked at Lester, I realized he was going to end up like the crowds Jesus was faced with when He was on earth. They came to get the physical benefits He offered, but they missed getting to know Him and the greater forgiveness He was offering! I realized Lester was in danger of this same tragedy!

God gave me boldness and I said to Lester, "Do you know how much God loves you?" He said, "Yes." but I did not believe him. I explained how God had been telling me of His love for him as we were worshiping. I told Lester I did not want him to receive the benefits of Jesus without receiving Jesus Himself. I explained our pastor had a special message prepared and I was sure God would speak directly to his heart. Lester was still ready to go, so I went to get change for him.

As I was walking back into the sanctuary to give Lester his bus money, I saw my husband talking to another man from our church. I explain Lester was waiting for the money but needed them to pray for him too. Then I said a silent prayer and left Lester at the altar of Jesus! I knew my part was done and I talked with other people until halftime ended.

When I came back into the sanctuary, I saw Lester sitting in his seat and he greeted me with a big smile. His whole countenance had changed! He stayed for the service and raised his hand to confess and receive Jesus at the end. Then I saw my pastor praying with him and then another member of the church prayed with him. It was a beautiful picture of the whole body of Christ working together to express God's love to Lester!

All week, I have been praying for Lester! I pray He will believe deep in His heart how much God loves him. I know from personal experience this is the healing he needs to change his life. Each day, I am convince of the love God is pouring upon me! This belief has healed me, my relationships, and my circumstances. And it is what gets me through the hard parts of life. It is what brings me joy, love, peace, and fulfillment! I believe God loves me deeply! God loves us no matter what! I love to pray this prayer! "I don't know much, but I know You love me! And this may be all I need to know!" Believe with me!

Romans 8:38-39- For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment