Thursday, December 1, 2011

Don't Wait for Tomorrow!

I had lunch with a friend this week. I met her at Hope Cottage which is a homeless shelter I volunteer at. When I met her, she had been homeless for many years. She was defeated in life and hiding from herself and everyone else too. God gave me a great love for this woman! He reminded me to pray for her all the time! I knew from the day I met her, she had significant meaning in my life. So I followed the Lord in our relationship. I have known her for about 3 years now. She is a close friend.

At lunch she said something that has struck me. She said, "I feel like, it is my time now!" When I heard her I rejoiced out loud in the restaurant. (Not too loud.) This blessed me so much. I remember a time when my friend was barely living and always waiting for tomorrow. These words expressed the victory of Jesus in her heart and soul! So we rejoiced together.

When I met this friend, she did not know Jesus. She had no idea how much God loved her. She had no idea how valuable she was to the people around her and to God Himself. She did not understand she was created with a purpose and that the Lord had given her clues in her DNA about what that purpose was. For many years, she was ignoring the desires within herself to be who God created her to be. In essence, she was in a perpetual state of waiting instead of taking action toward the meaning of her creation.

Many people ask me day after day, "How do I know what my purpose is?" I have spent much of my life searching for this answer. I believe that on most days, I do function in the purpose for which God has created me. How did I figure it out? I searched within for what God put it me from the beginning and then I ventured out to practice and experiment and try to follow the directional arrows the Lord placed before me. I walked through the open doors He put in front of me even if I felt some fear. I did all this as I was bathing my life with the Word of God, the presence of God, and I did it with a willing heart. I realized that His plan for my life was better than mine and my ultimate satisfaction comes from fulfilling my God given purpose.

I have been listening to a song the last few days that has caused me to dance and sing in my car and in my kitchen and through my life in general! It is called, "Why am I waiting for tomorrow?" by Mandisa. Here are a few of the lyrics;

I can't live my whole life wasting
All the grace that I know You've given
'Cause You made me for so much more than
Sitting on the sidelines

I don't wanna look back and wonder
If good enough could have been better
Every day's a day borrowed
So why am I waiting for tomorrow?
Why am I waiting for tomorrow?


It has been a pleasure watching my friend over the last three years go from homelessness and hopelessness to renting a room and having a future filled with hope. She is 58 years old and now registered to take classes at our local community college. This has been a dream of hers since she can remember. She has always loved to learned but has been waiting for years and years for the right time. I am glad that she expressed, "Now is my time!" I believe that now is your time too. So whatever you have been waiting for, whatever is in your heart and DNA, whatever your dreams and hopes; don't wait for tomorrow! It does not matter if you are old or young or somewhere in the middle. Now is your time! God has created you for "such a time as this."

2 comments:

  1. Kim, This post has been the best yet!!! Superb power in a willing heart. I love how you wrote this post. Don't wait till tomorrow! WOW!!! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, John! I appreciate the encouragement! Bless you!

    ReplyDelete