Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Running On Empty!

Don't you love the car manufacturers these days! They think of everything! Not only do we have a gauge showing us the level of our gas tank, but now we have a mode on the console telling us exactly how many miles until empty!! On top of that, I think the person who designed this device knows who I am. He decided to lie about when the car was at zero miles to save me the embarrassment and inconvenience of running out of gas. It is because of his consideration that I made it to the gas station the other day.

I had been driving for two days with the message "0 miles" posted on my dash before I rolled into the gas station. Later as I was reflecting, I was thinking what a perfect picture of my life this situation is. This is not the first time I have stared at the "0 miles" and then back at the road. I can testify that this kind of neglecting of the basics is stressful and tiring!! It was not just my car running on empty. I was personally running on empty too.

During these several days of over-commitment, I was feeling a certain scripture come to life in my spirit. This scripture is so dramatic it is somewhat humorous. It is found in Jonah 2:5. At this point, Jonah has been given a mission by God and decides to go in the opposite direction. Here is where he ends up. "The engulfing waters threatened me, the deep surrounded me; seaweed was wrapped around my head." This is a really bad situation but somehow I can never read it without chuckling. Just the image of seaweed wrapped around his head seems a bit physically funny to me. In verse seven, Jonah says, "When my life was slipping away, I remembered the Lord..." Now Jonah was recalling his journey to the bottom of the sea after the Lord had rescued him by causing a giant fish to swallow him. (You might like to get out your Bible and read the whole thing. I love it!!)

How can I relate to this scripture from the perspective of my dry office on the surface of the earth? My peace was gone! I might be dramatic to compare it to having seaweed wrapped around my head, but I can promise I was close. Think about this picture. Suffocating, disorienting, desperate, overwhelmed, panic strickened.... These are the feelings I feel when I lose control of my mouth and mind. Out of my mouth come the words; "Yes, Yes, Yes" when I have no idea how I will make the time to get it all done.

So, I asked the Lord a question; "Lord, how have I walked away from You, like Jonah?" Psalm 29:11 says; "The Lord gives strength to his people; the Lord blesses his people with peace." As I meditated on how I walked away, the answer snuck up on me. PRIDE had leaked into my heart. How did I know? I was looking at myself to be the answer to all of the need around me, instead of looking at Jesus! God has given me only so many hours, only so many gifts and talents. I thank Him for filling my life with other people who can help me take up the slack. So, today I humble myself before the Lord and receive the gifts He has sent to my life. He has surrounded me with people who love me and care!! I need to ask for some HELP!!

2 comments:

  1. LOL, boy did I need to read this today!! See, you're still mentoring me...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though you are in Texas, I am still WITH you!!

    ReplyDelete